Although I’m no longer a student, I’ll never stop associating August with the anticipation of a new school year. Of course, many fictional schools are even more enticing than the real thing. Below are some of the fantastical schools I’ve read about that I wish I could attend.
- Hogwarts from Harry Potter – Of course this has to be first on my list. Classes on Charms and Ancient Runes, moving staircases and hidden passages, and that epic library full of magical lore! That’s pretty much my idea of heaven.
- Vampire Academy from the eponymous series by Richelle Mead – Attending this school would have to mean I was a vampire. Mead divides her universe’s vampires into several types. I would want to attend classes with the Moroi, the sun-sensitive, blood-drinking magic users, rather than learning combat with their athletic half-human guardians known as Dhampirs.
- Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children from Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire – Miss West’s Home is a special school for kids who stepped through doorways (or wardrobes or rabbit holes) into mystical lands and then have trouble re-adjusting to reality when they come back. As much as I’d love to fall into a fantasy world, I’d like to eventually rejoin the society of my friends and family, and Miss West’s is the perfect place to find an accepting and understanding community while I did so. Assuming, that is, that the murders the protagonist Nancy experienced during her time there were not a common occurrence.
- Ever After High from the series of the same name by Shannon Hale – What started as a line of dolls from Mattel has spawned into a web series and numerous books explaining the backstories and adventures of the various dolls, all of whom are the descendents of classic fairy tale characters and attend Ever After High. Aside from learning magic and stressing over their destinies to follow in their parents’ footsteps and re-live out the fairy tale, they are also extremely fashionable and seem to spend way more time having fun than doing homework. I could totally be down for that life.
- The X-Mansion from the X-Men comics – Serving as both a base of operations for the mutant heroes and a training grounds for its newest members, the X-Mansion seems like one of the most exciting places to be in the Marvel universe. If I had to develop super powers, I’d love to live in a fancy mansion surrounded by some pretty kick-butt compatriots while I figured out my new skills.
What fictional schools would you want to attend? I’d love to hear more examples in the comments!